October 14, 2016

New Derelict Documentation

I’ve given the Derelict documentation an overhaul. Before, I created all of the HTML files manually and painstakingly fiddled with the stylesheet until I had something that didn’t make my eyes bleed. Needless to say, that’s an inefficient way to manage the process.

A couple of months back I decided to start working on a new “book” project covering the usage of DUB. I intend it to be freely available on line and have no plans to publish it as a print or ebook. I’m come to think of it more in terms of documentation than anything else. Given that I really do not want to craft any HTML by hand in this case, I’ve been experimenting with different solutions when I could find an hour or two in my schedule to do so. I initially expected to use GitBook,  but in the end I settled on MkDocs. That inspired me to do something about the Derelict documentation.

I’m very happy about this decision. Using markdown for the docs and a tool that provides some nice styles out of the box makes it all much easier to manage. At this point, all of the existing documentation except the package-specific pages (or which only two exist at the moment) has been converted. A couple of pages that are linked from elsewhere (like all of the Derelict package READMEs) are still there and redirect to the new stuff.

Package-specific documentation is on hold for the moment. As I’ve mentioned in previous posts, I’m in the process of updating every package to use a new version of DerelictUtil. This will result in a major version bump for every package. Once that’s complete, I’ll get busy on the docs.

As for the DUB guide, it’s still on the TODO list. Now that I’ve finally settled on a system to use in developing it, I’ll start working on it in bits in pieces. Just be aware that I’m not devoting all of my resources to it. In addition to it and the Derelict docs, I’ve got a little side project I’m programming and I’m preparing to start work on a new novel (my fourth this year). The latter is taking priority over everything else, as I intend to end up with something I’m willing to publish. So, yes, the DUB guide is coming, but don’t expect it any time soon.